Hawks on the brink after Game 3 loss

The Saugeen Shores Winterhawks are against the wall in their WOAA Sr. Hockey quarterfinal series against the Durham Thundercats.

Durham struck twice on the power play as they took Game 3 by a score of 4-1, in the process securing a 3-0 series lead.

Both teams took turns early on, but Durham jumped out on a power play at 8:02 of the 1st period, with Quinton Bruce beating Winterhawks netminder Jeff Flagler.

The Winterhawks nearly got it back and then some, as Chris Minard rang a one-timer off the post shortly after the goal, then later danced between the Durham defenders, but again, found iron.

Durham held a 1-0 lead after one period of play, then broke out early in the 2nd.

With a power play to start the period, Durham again struck with the man advantage, this time Randy Cox picking up a rebound off the back boards and beating Flagler to make it 2-0, 34-seconds into the period.

Durham would jump out to a 3-0 lead 1:08 later when Trevor Hughson came in over the Winterhawks blueline and fooled Flagler with a low wrist shot.

The Winterhawks would get on the board at 8:12 when Trevor Smith hauled the puck into the Durham zone and snapped a shot that snuck between goaltender Gatlin Burt’s pad and the goal post, making it a 3-1 game.

Durham would go up 4-1 at 12:03 of the 3rd period to put the game away, while tempers flared late and the two teams exchanged pleasantries.

Flagler made 26 saves in his return to the Winterhawks net.

The Winterhawks now face a must-win scenario back home tonight as Game 4 goes at 8:00 p.m. at The Plex.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s