Winterhawks can’t hold off charging Wolves

The Ripley Wolves scored six unanswered goals to spoil the Saugeen Shores Winterhawks Outlaw Brew home opener.

Ripley erased a two-goal deficit and pulled away to a commanding 7-3 win at The Plex on Saturday night.


Claire McCormack of Outlaw Brew Co.  drops the puck prior to the start of the game

The night opened as the team introduced Trevor Smith as the 2nd captain in the team’s history.

The good vibes were short-lived, as Ripley opened the scoring just over a minute into the game, with Tyson Soers putting a loose puck past Winterhawks netminder Jeff Flagler.

The Winterhawks would get it back on the powerplay later in the period, when newcomer Mike Rocca found Connor Patton in front and he made no mistake, beating Ripley goalie Ryan MacDonald.

The home side would jump ahead later in the period when Rocca and Patton once again hooked up, this time with Rocca stealing the puck in the Ripley zone and finding Patton streaking to the net.

The Winterhawks went up 3-1 at 17:32 just as a penalty kill was ending, Andy Mitchell retrieved the puck in the Ripley zone and put it to the front of the net, where Jay Thomson put the puck past MacDonald.

The good vibes disappeared quickly in the 2nd period as the Winterhawks found themselves in penalty trouble.

A too many men penalty, followed by a charging call on Josh Deyell put the Winterhawks down two men.

Gord King accepts the shirt off the back of #6, Justin Ainslie, sponsored by Rosner’s Tech Net.

While they killed off the 5-on-3, thanks in large part to a magnificent glove save by Flagler, Garret Satosek would score late in the powerplay to put Ripley within one.

Garrett Meurs would tie the game for Ripley at 10:31 when he broke in to the Winterhawks zone and dangled around a Flagler poke check to make it a 3-3 game.

The Wolves would score again in the dying seconds of the 2nd, Dylan Sayle deflected a puck past Flagler with six seconds left to give Ripley a 4-3 lead.

The Wolves would add three more in the 3rd period as the Winterhawks could not get any offence going, making it a 7-3 final for Ripley.

The Winterhawks will be back in action on Friday October 12th, when they travel to Shallow Lake to face the Crushers at 8:30pm.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s